greeting card industry

Ask about anything cartoon related (Tips, Tricks, Tech etc.)
ivor

greeting card industry

Post by ivor »

I am trying to get in to the greeting card industry but I need help as to how to submit samples to the greeting card companies .
I was hoping to use cartoons I have on file from the last few years but have no idea how to present them properly .
I tend to use Procreate mostly these days having used Photoshop in the past (very basic knowledge of same)
If any of you could steer me in the right direction that would be fantastic. Maybe you know of some other cartoonist that might be able to help ?

Thanks

Ivor

ihtoons@gmail.com
RichSkipworth
Site Admin

Re: greeting card industry

Post by RichSkipworth »

Hi Ivor,

Ages ago I wrote some tips for the Jester about getting in to the Greeting Card industry. I've trawled my archives and found it and have uploaded a screen shot to my Dropbox. You can download it via this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xru6r3hjp6g3 ... 8.png?dl=0

It should be quite readable (if not, give me a shout and I'll send you a hi-res pdf) I'll leave it up on my Dropbox for a week.

The advice in the article is based on my own experience of many years working in the Greeting Card business. Hope you find it useful!

Cheers

Rich
ivor

Post by ivor »

Hi Rich ,

I remember reading that article which is a great article .I have looked through my Jesters and couldn't find it .
Thanks for uploading it again .
I have saved a copy and it is perfectly readable.
I have the rough ideas for a range and will work at putting them together .
Is there a greeting card template that could be used with Procreate?

Again genuine thanks as you have helped me move forward in my quest to submit to greeting card companies .

Ivor
Ian_Ellery
CCGB Committee

Post by Ian_Ellery »

There is no greetings card template Ivor. Worry about the actual size when you get a commission. The company will tell you what size card they want - there are several variations. You are not sending out card designs anyway, just samples of your work. Only do designs when they commission you. The card business is not like the gag cartoon business - they will tell you what they want.
Good luck.
If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room. Confucius
RichSkipworth
Site Admin

Post by RichSkipworth »

Yeah, what Ian said regarding card sizes.

Some companies will tell you what they want, often supplying the wording for the cards, leaving you to just provide an appropriate cartoon, but a lot of others like the complete idea done by the artist. (You can usually charge more for that) It's all very fluid really, which is one of the things I liked about Greeting card work, you often had the opportunity to just think random stuff up and sell it :)
Ian_Ellery
CCGB Committee

Post by Ian_Ellery »

If at all possible get a royalty deal. (Payment is an advance against royalty) They are very reticent to do this nowadays, but you can earn so much more money. Card rates have fallen exponentially over the years, so get what you can.
If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room. Confucius
ivor

Post by ivor »

Thanks Ian for your advice . I meant by template that you could have a blank card set up on procreate or photoshop and then drop the cartoon and caption on it. I have tried submitting samples of my cartoons that I have had published but to no avail. Style wasn't suitable etc.
I am unsure how best to submit my ideas but the article and advice from Rich is very helpful.
Thanks to both of ye for responding.
Ivor