Private Eye submissions

Ask about anything cartoon related (Tips, Tricks, Tech etc.)
rob.baines

Private Eye submissions

Post by rob.baines »

I've submitted a few cartoons to Private Eye and never had any published. I know they are not keen on cartoons already published elsewhere.

I know they include details of cartoons in the latest issue here https://www.private-eye.co.uk/cartoonists/ but it is updated very infrequently.

Does anyone have a more concrete way of knowing its been accepted (unlikely) or rejected (more likely) so that I can spam my stuff on the internet.

Especially for topical stuff that goes stale very quickly like milk in the sun.

Thanks
drew

Re: Private Eye submissions

Post by drew »

Rob it has changed a bit over pandemic times. They used to email rejections then they changed it to say they'd only email if you were in and then posted it on the website page. This is the only way to know at the moment.

I preferred the fortnightly rejection email but I do check the list and take an interest in who gets in. It took a couple of years submitting before they took anything of mine and while these days they do publish the occasional gag I can also go many months of not having anything taken and thinking they don't like me/I'll never have anything published again. Keep going.
Twitter/IG: @cartoonsidrew
rob.baines

Post by rob.baines »

Great stuff. Exactly the info I was looking for thanks.
Andreakay

Post by Andreakay »

Hi

When you say they don’t accept cartoons published elsewhere, does that also mean what you may have personally uploaded to Instagram or Twitter etc?

Thanks for clarifying if you can
Andrea
Chris Williams

Post by Chris Williams »

Hi Andrea

Yes I wouldn't send anything that has been posted on Social Media or anywhere else.
Andreakay

Post by Andreakay »

Thanks for the tip!